I am writing today to let you know that we at Edison are monitoring the events around the nation and the world concerning the outbreak of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). As of the time that I am writing this letter, there are no confirmed cases of COVID -19 in the State of Ohio and the risk to the general public remains low. That does not mean that we are not keeping close tabs on the situation and preparing for it should an outbreak occur in our area.
We are, first and foremost, following the recommendations from the Center for Disease Control (CDC), the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) and the Erie County Health Department (ECHD). The main things they are recommending are the same they recommend for everyone during cold and flu season. Below are practices that we ask that you follow at home to help minimize the risk of illness caused by any virus. These practices include:
• Clean and disinfect areas frequently touched.
• Encourage proper handwashing which includes washing with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
• Cover your nose and mouth: When coughing or sneezing cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or cough or sneeze into your sleeve or elbow.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
• Stay home when you are sick and don’t return to school for at least 24 hours of being fever free without the use of medicine.
• Stay away from those who are ill.
If we do have cases of COVID – 19 we will follow the directions of the CDC, ODH and ECHD, as well as the Ohio Department of Education regarding any potential school closings and/or other recommendations.
We will continue to add updates as we receive them, to our website. If there is urgent information we will send out a call to the district. For now, we will continue to follow the recommendations of the above mentioned organizations, plan for different possibilities and continue to educate your children.
You can learn more about COVID – 19 by visiting the websites of the CDC, ODH and ECHD. The links can be found below: